Waiters Today Blogapalooza 2012 is gonna be cheating contest

Dear The Waiters Today,

We have found that Bluntdinnerz is not playing the contest fairly. We know The waiters Today is spending lot  of money and energy etc. but this Bluntdinnerz is trying to break the reputation of The Waiters Today, The Waiters Today must ban him because he abused me in the pvt chat and should not allow him to take part. His blog has less than 100 view counts and more than 1000 fb likes, How it is possible? At least fb likes should be equally to views counts. Please TWT disqualify him as soon as possible.

What all you guys say?

Here is his blog

http://waiterstoday.com/profiles/blogs/strawberry-gin-fizz-cocktail...

Views: 408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to mention that two days ago, he was behind the top two by over 40 likes. He then used his blog to badmouth the leader, and all of a sudden has hundreds of more likes than anyone else. This might be believable except for the fact that his blog on receives about ten visitors a day and receives an average of three comments a day. There is definitely something fishy going on and should be checked in to.

Bernard, the link you shared is not Bluntdinerz entry in the blogapalooze contest. This one is - http://waiterstoday.com/profiles/blogs/a-waiter-could-only-dream-of... -, but there's still cheating going on. is numbers just don't add up.

I was wondering how those numbers were adding up...

Your outrageous jump in number of likes OVERNIGHT is what raises a red flag for me. But the reason I'm commenting and trying to bring attention to how suspect your overnight rise is is because you badmouthed The Bitchy Waiter for no reason, He never mentioned you in any of his writings, he never asked people to vote because you don't deserve to win. All he's done is ask his readers to vote for him. You said your piece is better than his (which it isn't) and shouldn't win. And he's playing a fair game. He's asked his readers and his Facebook friends to vote for him. He hasn't taken some "like code" and posted it across the internet for people who have no clue what the service industry is. Like I said in another comment, you'd be a good politician. You know all of the dirty moves without technically breaking any rules (or any that can be proven, anyway.)

BluntDinerz said:

It's really easy you guys. it just takes time and determination. You cannot cheat FB likes. A person from a verified account has to click the button, and a Facebook like button can be made with any url, then painstakingly posted everywhere you could possibly imagine.  Which is what I did. I didn't write five blog posts for nothing. I want this, and I'm driven to promote my blog. Those blogs went to China, and back. I'm in a sleep deficit that is making me see double. I want to win.

Let me ask you what you've done to promote your post besides trying to ruin the leader's rep?

How many posts have you written for the blog?

You're not gonna get on here and do THIS. You're messing with my livelihood. I would suggest you know what you're talking about before you run your mouth. You're waiters, you should know that.

You have "found" nothing Bernard, and an email would have been nice before you got on here and tried to ruin my reputation. I've reached out to this community on numerous occasions and the biggest response I get is people accusing me of cheating. Nice.  Also, Bernard, please say what you will about me, I can handle it, but leave my family out of it. You don't know them.

Lastly, I like this site, and the people who run it. I get a lot of links to my blog from here. What kind of an a-hole do you take me for?  I'm a driven man. I put work and time into this, and I didn't break one rule. Certainly not "cheating" Facebook. I hope that anymore discussion about me and my blog continues in my e-mail. frank@bluntdinerz.com.

My phone number is 702-772-1558. Call me. Ask me anything. My heart is an open book.

Frank Giannantonio

http://fiverr.com/stickmangames/provide-you-500-genuine-facebook-likes

BluntDinerz said:

It's really easy you guys. it just takes time and determination. You cannot cheat FB likes. A person from a verified account has to click the button, and a Facebook like button can be made with any url, then painstakingly posted everywhere you could possibly imagine.  Which is what I did. I didn't write five blog posts for nothing. I want this, and I'm driven to promote my blog. Those blogs went to China, and back. I'm in a sleep deficit that is making me see double. I want to win.

Let me ask you what you've done to promote your post besides trying to ruin the leader's rep?

How many posts have you written for the blog?

You're not gonna get on here and do THIS. You're messing with my livelihood. I would suggest you know what you're talking about before you run your mouth. You're waiters, you should know that.

You have "found" nothing Bernard, and an email would have been nice before you got on here and tried to ruin my reputation. I've reached out to this community on numerous occasions and the biggest response I get is people accusing me of cheating. Nice.  Also, Bernard, please say what you will about me, I can handle it, but leave my family out of it. You don't know them.

Lastly, I like this site, and the people who run it. I get a lot of links to my blog from here. What kind of an a-hole do you take me for?  I'm a driven man. I put work and time into this, and I didn't break one rule. Certainly not "cheating" Facebook. I hope that anymore discussion about me and my blog continues in my e-mail. frank@bluntdinerz.com.

My phone number is 702-772-1558. Call me. Ask me anything. My heart is an open book.

Frank Giannantonio

http://fiverr.com/stickmangames/provide-you-500-genuine-facebook-likes

The Bitchy Waiter said:

I was wondering how those numbers were adding up...

I have no horse in this race, but wanted to give some opinions and a few warnings about the greater effect of what this could do. I've been blogging on restaurants for a while and have invested a ton of time in studying SEO. I think Adam is write. Fiverr or any of the other link/social metric building services can cheapily and easily provide you these kind of services. I don't know that pimping the link out to friends, FB groups, etc where you have some connection to the people is cheating. I think getting a bunch of people overseas to like it for money is probably over the line. It might have went to China, but did those likes come without incentive?

The bigger issue is the high risk campaigning that went along with it. Facebook liking is a helpful SEO trick. Not bad for this site. What would bother me more is this backlink to the post: http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=%22http%3a%2f%2fwaiterstoday.com%2... That is the cached copy of the page, but the link was to this site (his link has rolled of the site as this section auto updates: http://www.waho-biz.com/jobs/jobs/Las+Vegas/com/ This again could be a fluke, but what would concern me more is the number of sites this kind of posting can be found on. These feeds are carried by many low end internet marketing sites/ backlinking pages. These types of sites are often commonly used for people buying backlinks from sites like Fiverr. Starting with the Panda algorithm change in 2010 and more directly with the Penguin update last month, these types of sites can actually be very damaging to the sites they are linked to. These are the type of low quality, unnatural links Google set out to punish with Penguin. This is an out dated and very dangerous SEO practice.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know he was doing anything wrong. I still think the risk taken by posting it on a classified site that could have harmful side effects to the site is a bit troubling.

Yes to all of the questions above. Here is how it happened. You posted this in the Las Vegas Craigstlist (don't worry, I checked to make sure all the links are tagged "nofollow")

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/com/2987274741.html

Which, as I said, was probably an innocent act. The problem is that craigslist postings are often scraped or the feeds are planted in other sites as content. The first link I pasted is one of those site. You can tell that it is craigslist feed by the presence of the line " •it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests." Because Craigslist updates so quickly, your post is not currently on that page. However it was last time Bing crawled and cached the site. I discovered this by typing the full url where you were seeking the votes into bing. The second link I posted what their cached "picture" of what the waho-biz site looked like on that day. Yours is the 19th post down on that cached link pulled straight from craigslist.

Searching for a snippet of text from the posting rather than the link, also produced these too: http://lvgigs.com/local-food-blog-needs-community-support-las-vegas...
http://www.pandahi.com/1008517550.html

When Google sees spammy links like this, they judge the culprit by who could benefit from it, In this case it would be who the link is pointing to and that is WT. This sets WT up for an "unnatural links" penalty under the Penguin update.

I don't think this was some intentional effort to build bad backlinks. Posting the request on craigslist was a high risk/low reward campaign tactic that could hurt this site in the long run. Innocent enough, but combined with the questionable likes all at once it doesn't look good. No hate here. Sure you are a nice guy. Seems like a lot of people got really wrapped up in this contest and this is the logical consequence of that.

As far as me being a a blackhat, I am a pretty pale shade of grey. I know plenty of the blackhat methods, but I also know that most no longer work. For the sake of this situation though I assure you that my 7 restaurant blogs, my book on serving, my two restaurant ebooks, and the two years of blog posts were not all a elaborate ploy to build a backlink to a home mailing scam site. :)

You ruined your own rep with your words in all of your comments. The Bitchy Waiter never once mentioned you to his readers until AFTER you called his entry a fluff piece and said he didn't deserve to win. Based on and judging by the responses you're getting on THIS site as a result of his mentioning it, along with the lack of even one person coming to your defense tells me that not only does he have more readers than you, but that you did indeed cheat the system somehow and do not deserve the win.

BluntDinerz said:

Congrats to all, but especially my girl Yellowcat. One of my very first followers and one of my favorite blogs to this day.

Blunt, don't sweat the small stuff. When I started out, I wasn't seeing much traffic at all. I was lucky that a couple of more established bloggers put me on their blog roll. I remember getting all excited when I hit 1000 views in a week for the first time. Then another blogger casually mentioned that he was doing that in a day. I asked him what he was doing that I wasn't. He told me that a large portion of it was just time. Two years and a few hundred posts later, I do twice that in a day. Keep cranking out quality content and traffic will come. It also doesn't hurt to be friendly to the more established blogs. If it wasn't for the kindness of purplegirl, yellowcat, teleburst, and a few others back in the beginning it would have taken me a lot longer to get here. Play nice, make friends, keep at it, and good things will happen.

Thanks so much!  You have done such wonderful things with your blog...turned it from a little bit of writing to an industry...that I am envious.  Okay, I'm actually lazy and lack dedication, but I want to be like you when I grow up. 

RSS

Members

© 2014   Created by Waiters Today.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for The Waiters Today Social Network...